Monday 28 July 2014

A little introduction...

Hello! Before I start filling this place with book reviews, I thought I’d better do a short introduction just to say who I am and what I want to achieve.

So, I’m Eden, I’m seventeen and I’ve just finished my first year at sixth form (nervously awaiting AS results- eek!)

It’s a well-worn old cliché, but I’ve always loved reading. I was always a self-professed bookworm as a child, but unfortunately, over the past few years, reading has been pushed further and further down my to-do list, simply because of exams and just a general lack of free time. This summer, I’m determined that my holiday will actually be a holiday so I think now is the right time to recapture my love of literature by reading a hell of a lot of books!

Another motivation in setting myself this challenge is that I’ve been writing fanfiction for around five years now, and I’ve always viewed it as a stepping stone to producing my own original material: there’s still a lot of freedom in exploring what happens outside the confines of a tv show, film or book, but the characters and settings are ready made and obviously there’s a defined plot which acts as inspiration. However, five years on and I’m still not ready to move off that stepping stone. A blank page is scary, and a blank page with no guidelines in the form of a plot and characters is even more intimidating! One thing that I can do, though, to give myself a metaphorical push onwards, is to work on my own verbosity and to build up my capacity for creating characters and storylines. Something that I hear authors advising budding authors to do, time after time, is simply to read.

So that is what I intend to do!

In terms of genre, I’m not really picky. I do tend to gravitate towards crime and psychological thrillers, but I’ll read anything if the plot looks interesting and it’s well written. The books that I’ve collected range from historical fiction to romance and more. I study English Literature at A Level, so there’s a few modern classics in the mix as well.

I really hope you enjoy reading my reviews, and please do feel free to let me know if you have any feedback at all. I would love to hear it as I have don’t really have a clue what I’m doing but as usual, I’m just going with the flow. Also, if you want to discuss books or just have a chat with me, I’m down with that! My Twitter is @tk_eden J

Thank you for reading!


Eden x

No comments:

Post a Comment